Tyler’s hockey corner (playoffs round 1 day 2)

What’s up everybody- time for day 2 of the NHL playoffs (round 1)! A few disclaimers before we get to it: 1) I am not Nostradamus - I will have good predictions/bets and will have brutal one’s; 2) responsible gambling is key - bet within your means with money you are willing to lose; 3) this is a discussion - it’s okay to not agree with me but tell us why! We all have the same goal here… make money! With that let’s get into it

What we will cover:

1) Last night’s picks recap

2) Top picks for tonight - with my reasons

3) parlay

What happened yesterday??

PICK #1 from yesterday: DALLAS ML (-145) 

-This game was a kick in the nads. Strong performances from both goalies and a very physical game. Minnesota came out swinging with offensive pressure at the beginning of the game severely outshooting the Stars until the third period. This game concluded regulation time tied 2-2, and ended up needing 2 OTs before the Wild ended it. The Stars dominated in OT and had 2 chances to take the game on the power play (which was hot during this game), but unfortunately the could not solve the Wild’s defense and goaltending to take this one at home.

RESULT: down 2 units

PICK #2 from yesterday: OVER 6.5 GOALS in Edmonton vs. LA (-110)

-We knew from the breakdown yesterday that offense was going to be present in this series. This game also went into OT - after an LA Kings goal that was scored with 17 seconds left in regulation time. That goal locked in this bet considering one team had to score in OT to win it. LA took the victory in the first OT and now lead the series 1-0

RESULT: up 1unit

PICK #3 from yesterday: OVER 5.5 in Carolina vs. NY Islanders (+115)

-This one was a value bet for a reason - Vegas line makers were against us! Usually they set the line at just under 1:1 money, but they had no faith in the over and they turned out to be correct. The game started great for the over with a quick goal by Carolina (who dominated the majority of the game), but couldn’t capitalize on the chances we needed for the over. The game ended 2-1 in regulation. 
RESULT: down 1 unit

PLAYOFF results so far (+/-): -2 units 

Today is a new day: My top picks for tonight

(1) Colorado -1.5 (+130) *value bet* (placing 2 units)

-this is my favorite bet for tonight. Like I mentioned in the previous post - I don’t think Seattle has the offense that Colorado has. I take this bet with caution as the Avs goaltending has been terrible even in wins, but the playoffs are where the Avs thrive and the projected starting goalie from Seattle has worse stats than the Colorado goalie. Nathan McKinnon is an absolute monster who I could see having 2-3 points in the playoff opener (the prop for that is over 1.5 total points for basically 1:1odds (-109)). 
-it is playoffs and games tend to be close, so if you are not feeling an Avs win by 2 goals - the Kraken have a decent line on the spread +1.5 (-150). 
-fact of the matter is if the Avs get goaltending tonight then my pick should cover. Cale Makar is back (top defenseman in the league) so they should have help on the backend. Colorado are an offensive machine

(2) Toronto Maple Leafs ML (-158) (placing 2 units)

-personally, I don’t see this game goin to OT so finding a better line for Toronto to win in regulation or Draw No Bet might make sense here. This is my second favorite for tonight due to the value with OT included. Toronto seemingly has all the right pieces to get it done in game 1, but with have to solve one of the best goalies in the league to do so. Shouldn’t be tough with some of the biggest offensive stars in the league on Toronto and a decent defensive core to boot. 

Parlay

The Card:

-Toronto ML (-158)

-Avs ML (-200)

-Vegas (-150)

-Over in NY Rangers vs NJ Devils 5.5 (-115)

Payout: 6 to 1 odds - placing 2 units here

Best of luck to anyone who follows! Remember these are my picks, let me know if you agree or not! Feel free to discuss in the comments!

• Like 1

Hey everyone - got crushed yesterday! Down a total of 7 units so far in playoffs but that changes today! Mark my words! Today I’m only taking one bet - I wills be at the Dallas Stars game tonight so I won’t be able to watch the games. Therefore, we will do a small version of the corner here. 

My Pick: DALLAS STARS ML (-150) for 3 Units! Stars are coming off a tough loss where they saw a leader in Joe Pavelski injured due to a hit laid by Matt Dumba. This will be a very aggressive game and should give the Stars a lot to play for! Last game at home until game 5 so need a big win! LET’S GO STARS!!!

will breakdown more tomorrow.

• Like 1