Tyler’s hockey corner (playoffs 2023)

What’s up everybody- I’m back for the playoff edition of the corner. A few disclaimers before we get to it: 1) I am not Nostradamus - I will have good predictions/bets and will have brutal one’s; 2) responsible gambling is key - bet within your means with money you are willing to lose; 3) this is a discussion - it’s okay to not agree with me but tell us why! We all have the same goal here… make money! With that let’s get into it

What we will cover:

1) playoffs round one - my predictions/keys to each series (West & East) 

2) my best bets for day 1 

3) parlay/acca 

Round 1: Western Conference by series

1) Seattle Kraken vs. Colorado Avalanche

-Seattle is an expansion team, this will be their first time in the playoffs. I don’t think they have the strongest roster when comparing to the Avalanche, but that doesn’t mean that pucks won’t bounce their way (best example Vegas Golden Knights year 1) - it’s possible, but not probable. 
-Avs are missing some key pieces: Their Captain, Gabriel Landeskog, and will have their star d-man Cale Makar coming back off an injury (will he be 100%?)

-Avs goaltending can be weak at times. If you followed my first gambling corner then you know the game went south on us due to a lack of goaltending missing our cover by 1 goal. I don’t think their goalies are great, but as the previous cup winners (with crap goaltending then too) anything is possible.

My Series Pick: COLORADO in 6 games (7 game series for those who are new to hockey) - In my opinion, the Avs should win with a lot of offensive pressure 

2) Dallas Stars vs. Minnesota Wild 

-This should be the most competitive series in the west (round 1)

-these 2 teams have battled for positioning at the top of the central division the whole season

-this season they played 4 times and both won 2 games - both wins coming at home (note: the under has hit 3/4 games with these 2 teams). The Stars have home ice advantage in the series due to placement

-both teams have solid core’s- meaning they are solid at every position. The Wild have come to life offensively towards the back half of the season with rookie Matt Boldy leading the charge while their top player Krill Kaprizov was injured (he’s back for playoffs)

-important note before I get to my pick: I’m a Stars fan so I have a slight bias, but this will be a tough series for the fellas in green! *I will be at game 2 so watch out for me on tv*

My Series Pick: DALLAS STARS in 7 games

3) Vegas Golden Knights vs. Winnipeg Jets

-to be honest I don’t know much about Winnipeg, but they are a wildcard team meaning they barely squeaked into a playoff spot

-Vegas has made some great trades this season and the last few years to bolster their team a bit! They have a great offense that should carry them, if they can get past Winnipeg’s goalie Connor Hellebuyck who has had a great year!

My Series Pick: GOLDEN KNIGHTS in 6 games

4) Edmonton Oilers vs. LA Kings

-anyone that watches hockey knows what I’m about to say - Connor McDavid is the most dominant player in the league, and Leon Draisaitl is a close second. They play on the same line too. Edmonton’s offense is no joke with 5+ 30 goal scorers on the season. Where they lack is goaltending, that would be their downfall.

-LA has been a solid team all year and plays their system well, but I don’t see them controlling the puck like the oilers can. LA plays a team game and will need it this series. 
My Series Pick: EDMONTON OILERS in 5 games

On to the East… 

1) Boston Bruins vs Florida Panthers 

-this one is a no-brainer so I won’t spend a lot of time here. Boston is dominant in every category and had the most wins this season giving them the Presidents trophy. There is a curse of the presidents trophy, but I don’t think that applies to this series.. 

My Series Pick: BOSTON BRUINS in 5 games

2) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

-Toronto has a history of struggling in the playoffs (haven’t won a cup since ‘67) - they historically have not made it to the 2nd round, but they have an Allstar line-up led by Auston Matthews - so could this be the year the curse is broken? 
-Tampa has been a great team to watch, but they have slowed down since their dynasty run. They have run into cap issues that forced them to move some key pieces. They have a great goalie in Vasilevskiy and some great goal scorers/leadership with Stamkos and Kucherov

My Series Pick: TORONTO in 6 games

3) Carolina Hurricanes vs. NY Islanders

-I don’t know much about either team here. But the records speak for themselves

-Islanders have had great seasons a few years in a row now, but certainty aren’t as strong as the Canes. They also barely snuck into the playoffs in one of the last games of the season.

My Series Pick: CAROLINA in 5

4) NY Rangers vs. NJ Devils 

-This should be a really good series 

-NY has added some dominant players this year - such as Patrick Kane and Vladimir Taresenko, they have shown signs of early chemistry, but this core hasn’t played together in the playoffs before

-NJ has a solid team - Jack Hughes is an allstar forward who has played well this season and Dougie Hamilton has been decent on D. They finished ahead of the Rangers by 5 points so they should be a tough test - they also led the season series 3-1

My Series Pick: NY RANGERS in 7 games - I’m taking the Rangers as an underdog pick due to their new lineup 

————————————————————————

My best bets for day 1:

1) Dallas Stars -145 (ML)

2) Over 6.5 total goals Edmonton vs. LA -110

3) **value bet** Over 5.5 total goals NY Islanders vs. Carolina Hurricanes +115

————————————————————————

Parlay/acca

- want to see if we can start off strong here in the playoff betting department, why not toss in a parlay? My favorite favorites for tonight😂

The card:

-Dallas Stars ML (-145)

-Boston Bruins ML (-225)

-Carolina Hurricanes ML (-168)

-Vegas Golden Knights (-150)

-Colorado Avs (-193)

-Toronto Maple Leafs (-158) 

These parlayed together will give you a payout of 15 to 1 odds (on my book) 

Best of luck to anyone who follows! Remember these are my picks, let me know if you agree or not! Feel free to discuss in the comments!

• Trophy 1
  • Get in! 1

@Tylerc96 If you want some info about Winnipeg Jets here is some: Rock solid Goalie in Connor Hellebuyck that can steal a game by himself.

One of the better dman in Josh Morrissey 16g 60a 76 points.

Strong leadership in Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler and a real star in Kyle Connor "31g 49a 80points".

Edited by Idelexplorer